The primary source for the dates used in the Em Hotep Dynasties pages is the chronology developed by Ian Shaw and Paul Nicholson for the British Museum Dictionary of Ancient Egypt. In an effort to be as comprehensive as possible other dating systems were used to fill in the blanks. These various systems were chosen based on how closely they could be integrated to the Shaw and Nicholson chronology. Note that dates in Egyptian chronologies may radically vary from one Egyptologist to the next.
In addition to Shaw and Nicholson, chronologies from the following sources were used in the compilation of the Em Hotep Dynasties pages.
- Digital Egypt for Universities – An online learning and teaching resource in Egyptology developed at University College London.
- Aiden Dodson – Research Fellow, Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Bristol.
- Detlef Franke – Institute of Egyptology of the University of Heidelberg.
- Peter Piccone – Associate Professor of Ancient Near Eastern History, University of Charleston, SC.
- Donald Redford – Professor of Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies, Pennsylvania State University.
- Kim Ryholt – Associate professor of Egyptology at the University of Copenhagen.
- Turin Cannon – A king’s list that names most of the Pharaohs from the First Dynasty to the Second Intermediate Period.
The Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
Early Dynastic Period
Old Kingdom Period
First Intermediate Period
Middle Kingdom Period
Second Intermediate Period
New Kingdom Period
Third Intermediate Period
Copyright by Keith Payne, 2009. All rights reserved.